I've had a really busy few weeks meeting businesses old and new in Scunthorpe, from our steadfast steelworks to new Italian bar LAVO. It is absolutely crucial that we support our local businesses, whether that be through buying local as a consumer, or supplying from local firms as a business where possible. I will personally keep championing our area whenever I can so residents receive the jobs and investment they deserve.
The Queen's Speech earlier this month gave the Government an opportunity to present new legislation to further support British businesses. It introduced Bills specifically targeted at supporting businesses, including:
- A Draft Digital Markets, Competition and Consumer Bill to ban fake reviews online, bring competition into the market and hold big tech firms to account with bespoke rules.
- A Procurement Bill to create a simpler system for SMEs and social enterprises to bid for public contracts.
- An Electronic Trade Documents Bill to put these documents on the same legal footing as paper documents with new digital solutions to maintain security.
These are just some of the Bills proposed by the Government to boost the economy, and you can read about even more here. As your MP, it is my job to ensure that Scunthorpe's interests are represented in this legislation and I look forward to scrutinising these as they go through the Commons.
Please see below a list of local opportunities for businesses in Scunthorpe, starting with Humber Business Week commencing on June 6th.
Humber Business Week
You may be interested to know that we are on the eve of Humber Business Week. There are a series of events being held from June 6th onwards which local businesses could benefit from. In particular, key organisations are inviting SMEs and supply chain companies to the Baths Hall on Tuesday June 7th to discuss the opportunities available as part of the huge decarbonisation plans put forward by the Humber industrial sector. Drax, SEE, Equinor, Phillips 66 and others will be in attendance. With many companies setting targets for local contents, some procurement teams will be hosting meet-the-buyer events during the venue. You can sign up to the Conference and book a meet-the-buyer appointment here.
DN Colleges Group are also hosting important events on the following days:
There are plenty more events taking place on the other side of the bridge which you can take a look at here.
Run a FUELLED Activity for kids this summer
Local businesses, charities and other groups are being invited to to run activities for children this summer. Applications are now open to set up fun days between Monday July 25th to Friday 2nd September, with support and funding for these activities bring provided from North Lincolnshire Council. To discuss how your organisation could access funding for these activities, please contact Fuelled@northlincs.gov.uk and find out more here.
Police and Crime Commissioner Jonathan Evison offers grants up to £35,00 for community safety projects
The local Police and Crime Commissioner Jonathan Evison has opened a £1 million fund over the next three years to improve community safety. Non-profit organisations, charities, community groups, social enterprises and Town and Parish Councils will be able to bid for grants of between £500 and £35,000. Grants could be used to improve building or land safety, set up local events surrounding safety issues and organise activities for people at risk of falling into criminal behaviour. The deadline for Round 1 Applications is 30th June and you can apply here.
Get Active Challenge commences this week
A month-long competition for North Lincolnshire employees to get fit starts on Wednesday. Teams from businesses across the county will be competing to complete the most physical activity in June, as part of North Lincolnshire Council's Get Active Challenge initiative. I wish them all the best of luck!
Barton-Upon-Humber Market not on this month, but you can apply for a stall or Saturday 2nd July
You may have heard that Barton-Upon-Humber now has its own outdoor market, open on the first Saturday of every month. Though the Queen's Jubilee celebrations this week means the market won't be open, businesses can apply for a stall for next month (Saturday 5th July) by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Government is currently asking for businesses' views on the following:
- Consultation on the UK Emissions Trading Scheme, including the emissions cap and allowances
- Pubs Code, following the second statutory review.
- Consultation on Government's proposed business model for Industrial Carbon Capture
- Consultation on a new Statutory Debt Solution
- Call for Evidence on exemptions to 2035 phase-out date for sale of new non-zero emissions HGVs
- Consultation on effects of National Living Wage and National Minimum Wage ahead of 2023 uprating
As ever, it would be great if businesses in our area had their say so our views are represented.
As ever, get in touch with me directly if you need anything else- email@example.com.
- Spring Statement Headlines, Summer Interns Available, Labour Market Support Fund open- 30/03/22
- More businesses able to access Gigabit Broadband, NLC Business Digitalisation Grant, NL Business Awards Entries Open- 08/02/22
- End of 'Plan B' Restrictions on Thursday, Launch of Help to Grow Digital, Local Grants for Cycling Infrastructure- 25/01/22
- NEW: North Lincs Council Grants announced - 31/12/2021
- Business Update 21/12/2021: One-off grant and discretionary grant announced, SSP rebate reinstated
- Business Update 17/12/21- New Covid rules for businesses, NLC Start-Up Grant and Sustainability Grant
- Local Hospitality and Tourism Fund open, Key takeaways from last week's Budget, Campaign Success on Lorry Park Facilities- 03/11/2021
- Government consultation on Vaccine Passports- COVID-19 Business update 28/09/2021
- Share your Kickstart experiences, £220 million to reduce emissions & flexible working consultation launched- COVID-19 Business update 24/09/2021
- Important: Local DWP Kickstart event, updated Furlough and SEISS information, key conslutations - COVID-19 Business update 20/08/2021
- Important consultations, quarantine rules for industries, new allergen regulations and CJRS update- COVID-19 Business update 27/07/2021
- Covid Guidance from Monday, Hospitality Recovery Plan and info for social care providers- 16/07/2021
- Changes in restrictions, final reminder for discretionary grant 15/06/2021
- Discretionary grant up, Farmers Consultation, CJRS elgibility 28/05/2021
- NLC Schemes, 4th SEISS grant, Discretionary Grant update - COVID-19 Business update 05/05/2021
- Updates to work safety guidance, Register for FREE weekly tests, Grants and other business support schemes - COVID-19 Business update 08/04/2021
- Ready to reopen Scunthorpe, FREE lateral flow tests for biz with over 50 employees, SME Brexit Support Fund - COVID-19 Business update 24/03/2021
- Weddings and Sports roadmap + Big update covering support schemes, tax changes, and policy updates - COVID-19 Business update 16/03/2021
- Special Business update - Budget overview - COVID-19 Business update 03/03/2021
- Lockdown grants update, Important Furlough and Self-Employed Income Support Scheme deadlines - COVID-19 Business update 08/01/2021
- Lockdown Grant Details - COVID-19 Business Update 05/01/2021
- Discretionary grant update, notes from Weddings meeting, lower self-isolation period- COVID-19 Business Update 14/12/2020
- Tier 3 Grant open, Tier reviews, outbreak control support and wet pubs grant- COVID-19 Business Update 4/12/20Tier 3 restrictions, new SEISS up - COVID-19 Business Update 26/11/2020
- COVID Winter plan, furlough changes, self-isolation payment - COVID-19 Business Update 24/11/2020
- Discretionary grant released - COVID-19 Business Update 13/11/2020
- Chancellor's announcement updates, Discretionary Grant confirmed, industry guidelines - COVID-19 Business Update 06/11/2020
- Lockdown support and grants - COVID-19 Business Update 04/11/2020
- COVID-19 Business Update 23/10/2020- Chancellor’s IMPROVED Winter Support Package
- Coronavirus Business Update 22.09.20- Chancellor's Winter Support Package
- Coronavirus Business Update 22/09/20- Today's updates and key guidances
- COVID-19 Business Update 08/09/2020- Feedback from hospitality industry needed, job creation schemes available for your business
- COVID-19 Business Update 09/07/2020- Further reopening of businesses, eat out scheme details, green homes grants
- Important update: Chancellor's statement and what it means for you - 08/07/2020
- Quick update - full list of businesses, guidance available - 24/06/2020
- Further opening of key sectors, self-employed support - COVID-19 Business update 23/06/2020
- NLC Discretionary Business Grants now open for application - COVID-19 Business update 01/06/2020
- COVID-19 Business update 29/05/2020 -Important update on furlough, Self-Employed income support scheme EXTENDED
- COVID-19 Business update 26/05/2020- Retail update, tax clarifications, claim for SSP
- COVID-19 Business update 14/05/2020- Major housing update, holiday entitlement guidance, guidance for discretionary council grant released - COVID-19 Business update
- COVID-19 Business update 13/05/2020- Furlough scheme extended, health and safety priority
- COVID-19 Business Update 11/05/20- Details on today's announcements, how to make your workplace "Covid-Safe"
- COVID-19 Business update 04/05/2020- Bounce back loans available NOW, Council to get discretion for grants, further info for employees
- COVID-19 Business update 27/04/2020- New 100% backed loans for small businesses, Furlough scheme feedback
- COVID-19 Business update 15/04/2020- Date set for furlough scheme (get ready!), more info for the self-employed
- COVID-19 Business update 03/04/2020- Coronavirus Business Interruption Loans, Industry updates
- COVID-19 Business update 27/03/2020- Important update for employers: more details on "furlough"/ "80% scheme"
- COVID-19 Business update 26/03/2020- Self-employed details, letter to Chancellor and Business Secretary
- COVID-19 Business update 24/03/2020- Important guidelines and updates
- COVID-19 Business update 23/03/2020- Lockdown and further information
- COVID-19 Business update 22/03/2020- Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme, my pledge to the self-employed
- COVID-19 Business update 20/03/2020- URGENT UPDATE
- COVID-19 Business update 18/03/2020- Business Interruption Loan Scheme, Business Rates Holiday, Small Business Grants