This email is part of a regular update I send out to businesses in Scunthorpe. If you have not received this email directly from me please click here to subscribe to my COVID-19 Business newsletter.
Earlier this week the Tier 3 restrictions outlined last week were put into law. I know that many local businesses have genuine concerns about Tier 3's impact.
This really was a vote that kept me awake at night. I agonized about it for some time and in the end, having looked at our local picture and considering the outcome of what could have happened if the vote failed, I reluctantly decided to vote for it. You can read my statement following the vote here.
This follows a series of meetings with the PM, Chancellor, and Ministers to lobby for the changes such as the “Wet Pubs Grant”. I know that there is more to be done and I will continue to push for our area. Thank you to everyone who gave feedback after my previous updates, it is genuinely helpful and much appreciated.
Support for closed businesses (Tier 3)
Businesses forced to close will be awarded grants up to £3,000 per every 4-week closure. Apply here.
‘wet-led pubs’ Christmas grant
The Government announced a £1,000 grant for ‘wet-led pubs’ in tiers 2 and 3, in response to the tighter restrictions. Pubs that predominantly serve alcohol rather than food will be eligible for the payment.
This is a one-off payment of £1,000 to help cover the shortfall caused by the restrictions over the festive period. More information can be found here and I will provide the details once I hear more from NLC.
Pushing for further support
I know from correspondence that this is by no means sufficient for some businesses with higher operational costs, and those who may not be closed but are affected through supply chains etc. I am working with colleagues to push for more support and will keep you updated.
Business outbreak control
North Lincolnshire Council has published some guidance on controlling an outbreak in a local business:
The areas key to successfully controlling the outbreak are:
- Communication with employees - ensuring they are clear on the rules they need to follow at work
- Early identification of cases and contacting public health using this online form.
- Identifying close contacts of anyone testing positive and ensuring they do not attend work
- Sharing information with public health officials - for example, shift patterns and bubbles to allow informed decision making
If you have a known or suspected case in your premise please get in touch with North Lincs Council via this online form.
Tiering review on the 16th
The PM set out in his letter last week that local Tier allocation will be based on:
• Case detection rates in all age groups;
• Case detection rates in the over 60s;
• The rate at which cases are rising or falling;
• Positivity rate (the number of positive cases detected as a percentage of tests taken); and
• Pressure on the NHS
I know that there is significant interest in the tiering review on the 16th ( especially for those in hospitality/ supply links) I will keep a close eye out and will provide an update as soon as I am able to.
- COVID-19 SUPPORT DIRECTORY FOR INDIVIDUALS AND BUSINESSES
- Discretionary grant released - COVID-19 Business Update 13/11/2020
- Chancellor's announcement updates, Discretionary Grant confirmed, industry guidelines - COVID-19 Business Update 06/11/2020
- Lockdown support and grants - COVID-19 Business Update 04/11/2020
- COVID-19 Business Update 23/10/2020- Chancellor’s IMPROVED Winter Support Package
- Coronavirus Business Update 22.09.20- Chancellor's Winter Support Package
- Coronavirus Business Update 22/09/20- Today's updates and key guidances
- COVID-19 Business Update 08/09/2020- Feedback from hospitality industry needed, job creation schemes available for your business
- COVID-19 Business Update 09/07/2020- Further reopening of businesses, eat out scheme details, green homes grants
- Important update: Chancellor's statement and what it means for you - 08/07/2020
- Quick update - full list of businesses, guidance available - 24/06/2020
- Further opening of key sectors, self-employed support - COVID-19 Business update 23/06/2020
- NLC Discretionary Business Grants now open for application - COVID-19 Business update 01/06/2020
- COVID-19 Business update 29/05/2020 -Important update on furlough, Self-Employed income support scheme EXTENDED
- COVID-19 Business update 26/05/2020- Retail update, tax clarifications, claim for SSP
- COVID-19 Business update 14/05/2020- Major housing update, holiday entitlement guidance, guidance for discretionary council grant released - COVID-19 Business update
- COVID-19 Business update 13/05/2020- Furlough scheme extended, health and safety priority
- COVID-19 Business Update 11/05/20- Details on today's announcements, how to make your workplace "Covid-Safe"
- COVID-19 Business update 04/05/2020- Bounce back loans available NOW, Council to get discretion for grants, further info for employees
- COVID-19 Business update 27/04/2020- New 100% backed loans for small businesses, Furlough scheme feedback
- COVID-19 Business update 15/04/2020- Date set for furlough scheme (get ready!), more info for the self-employed
- COVID-19 Business update 03/04/2020- Coronavirus Business Interruption Loans, Industry updates
- COVID-19 Business update 27/03/2020- Important update for employers: more details on "furlough"/ "80% scheme"
- COVID-19 Business update 26/03/2020- Self-employed details, letter to Chancellor and Business Secretary
- COVID-19 Business update 24/03/2020- Important guidelines and updates
- COVID-19 Business update 23/03/2020- Lockdown and further information
- COVID-19 Business update 22/03/2020- Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme, my pledge to the self-employed
- COVID-19 Business update 20/03/2020- URGENT UPDATE
- COVID-19 Business update 18/03/2020- Business Interruption Loan Scheme, Business Rates Holiday, Small Business Grants