This update is part of a regular newsletter I send out to businesses in Scunthorpe. If you have not received this directly from me please click here to subscribe to my COVID-19 Business newsletter.
Feedback from hospitality industry needed
I will be attending a meeting with the Prime Minister's Policy team and the Department for Culture, Media and Sport later this month to discuss the hospitality industry.
If you own a business or work in the hospitality industry please could you get back in touch with your feedback and views so that I can give them a clear picture of what our area needs.
If you are not from the hospitality industry you are still, of course, welcome to write to me and I will keep the points you have made in mind when I discuss relevant issues with my colleagues.
KICKSTART SCHEME KICKS OFF
6-month work placements aimed at those aged 16 to 24 who are on Universal Credit and are deemed to be at risk of long-term unemployment.
Funding available for each job will cover 100% of the relevant National Minimum Wage for 25 hours a week, plus the associated employer National Insurance contributions and employer minimum automatic enrolment contributions.
Applications must be for a minimum of 30 job placements. If you are unable to offer this many job placements, you can partner with other organisations to reach the minimum number. You can get funding for the administrative costs of bringing this partnership together too; read more here.
· You CANNOT replace existing or planned vacancies- must be new jobs.
· Must include career advice, support for CVs and interviews.
· Placement can be taken up by a second person after the 6 months is over.
I have also spoken to North Lincs Council, and they stand ready to provide bespoke advice to your business on the various employment schemes, ie the kickstart, apprenticeship, and training schemes that will suit your business best.
Please get in touch with them via their email firstname.lastname@example.org or their number 01724297330.
Green Homes grant
If you are interested in getting the grant, you can use the energy efficiency calculator online to see how your home could be improved. Then you will be directed to a list of approved tradespeople who are eligible for the voucher scheme.
SMALL BUSINESSES-The government set up the Small Business Commissioner in 2017 to help small businesses with free independent advice on payment disputes with larger companies. The SBC can check contracts, proofread invoices and signpost to existing support. More info here.
NATIONAL APPRENTICESHIP AWARDS- Entries open for Employers and Apprentices until the 25th September, for those who have used apprenticeships to make a positive impact where they work and have shown outstanding progression. More info here.
PUBLIC AND VOLUNTARY ORGANISATIONS- Jobcentre Plus wants to work with local public and voluntary organisations that will help unemployed people move off benefits and into employment. To see if you can help, contact Jo Corney, Jobcentre Plus Service leader for North East Yorkshire and the Humber, at email@example.com.
EAT OUT TO HELP OUT- Participating businesses have until 30th September to claim back money here. It seems like the Scheme was a succes, with 44,000 meals discounted in Scunthorpe!
JOB RETENTION SCHEME- From 1st September, the government will pay 70% of wages up to a cap of £2,187.50 for the hours the employee is on furlough. Employers will pay employer National Insurance contributions and pension contributions and employers will top up employees’ wages to ensure they receive 80% of their wages up to a cap of £2,500, for time they are furloughed.
From 1st October, for October, the government will pay 60% of wages up to a cap of £1,875 for the hours the employee is on furlough. Employers will pay ER NICs and pension contributions and employers will top up employees’ wages to ensure they receive 80% of their wages up to a cap of £2,500, for time they are furloughed.
PAVEMENT PARKING- Consultation being conducted until 22nd November on three possible resolutions to pavement parking. Read more and respond here.
PRIVATE CAR PARKS- New Parking Code of Practice and Framework has been released, subject to consultation which you can respond to here.
TRAINEESHIPS- The government has released a manual outlining what a traineeship is, and the extra support that the Chancellor has promised to employers who provide them. As above, please contact NLC for advice.
CONSUMER CONTRACTS- Competition & Markets Authority statement on how lockdown laws affect consumer contracts, cancellations and refunds.
USEFUL INFORMATION REGARDING FACE COVERINGS AND DEAFNESS:
- COVID-19 SUPPORT DIRECTORY FOR INDIVIDUALS AND BUSINESSES
- Important update: Chancellor's statement and what it means for you - 08/07/2020
- Quick update - full list of businesses, guidance available - 24/06/2020
- Further opening of key sectors, self-employed support - COVID-19 Business update 23/06/2020
- NLC Discretionary Business Grants now open for application - COVID-19 Business update 01/06/2020
- COVID-19 Business update 29/05/2020 -Important update on furlough, Self-Employed income support scheme EXTENDED
- COVID-19 Business update 26/05/2020- Retail update, tax clarifications, claim for SSP
- COVID-19 Business update 14/05/2020- Major housing update, holiday entitlement guidance, guidance for discretionary council grant released - COVID-19 Business update
- COVID-19 Business update 13/05/2020- Furlough scheme extended, health and safety priority
- COVID-19 Business Update 11/05/20- Details on today's announcements, how to make your workplace "Covid-Safe"
- COVID-19 Business update 04/05/2020- Bounce back loans available NOW, Council to get discretion for grants, further info for employees
- COVID-19 Business update 27/04/2020- New 100% backed loans for small businesses, Furlough scheme feedback
- COVID-19 Business update 15/04/2020- Date set for furlough scheme (get ready!), more info for the self-employed
- COVID-19 Business update 03/04/2020- Coronavirus Business Interruption Loans, Industry updates
- COVID-19 Business update 27/03/2020- Important update for employers: more details on "furlough"/ "80% scheme"
- COVID-19 Business update 26/03/2020- Self-employed details, letter to Chancellor and Business Secretary
- COVID-19 Business update 24/03/2020- Important guidelines and updates
- COVID-19 Business update 23/03/2020- Lockdown and further information
- COVID-19 Business update 22/03/2020- Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme, my pledge to the self-employed
- COVID-19 Business update 20/03/2020- URGENT UPDATE
- COVID-19 Business update 18/03/2020- Business Interruption Loan Scheme, Business Rates Holiday, Small Business Grants