This email is part of a regular update I send out to businesses in Scunthorpe. If you have not received this email directly from me please click here to subscribe to my COVID-19 Business newsletter.
Local holiday meals support for children
Earlier this week I made the difficult decision to 'rebel' against the government on holiday Free School Meals. Since then local businesses have been in touch to offer their support for disadvantaged children in our area.
I have been working with North Lincs Council on this and they have agreed to help connect local businesses directly with our schools, as they are best placed to know where help is needed. Please let me know if you would like to participate and I will pass on your contacts to the relevant team.
The Chancellor's bigger package
Yesterday the Chancellor announced improvements to his original Winter Support Package, alongside new measures to aid businesses financially through Tier 2 and 3 restrictions. I am pleased to see that some of the issues I have raised have been addressed in the announcement.
I've made a graph to illustrate these changes. You can read the full update here.
Job Support Scheme
Key points to note:
- The scheme starts on 1st November 2020
- Employees on the Job Support Scheme will continue to receive two-thirds of their salary for the time they aren’t at work, provided they work the minimum hour requirements.
- Employees’ total salary for time worked and not worked will be at least 73% of their usual salary.
- The minimum number of hours worked, in order to qualify for the JSS has been reduced from 33% to 20%
- Employers’ contributions to the wages of workers on the JSS has been reduced from 33.3% to 5%. (capped at £125 per month, plus Automatic Enrolment/National Insurance).
Self-Employed Income Support Scheme
The Self-Employed Income Support Scheme (SEISS) has been improved, with those qualifying now entitled to 40% of their monthly profits, capped at £3,750 (For the first 3-months instalment).
To qualify, you must have qualified for the original SEISS, and be one of the following:
- Actively trading, with reduced demand.
- Previously trading, with intent to Trade in the future, not trading currently due to Coronavirus.
Local Restrictions Support Grants
The Chancellor has announced extra funding for local authorities to distribute to business in areas of Tier 2 restrictions. Rest assured that I will be providing a comprehensive update should we end up in Tier 2 or 3.
Being your voice
I have tabled a "Written Question" on behalf of businesses who were affected by Tier 2 and Tier 3 restrictions in place in their neighbouring areas.
I have also tabled a "Written Question" asking the Chancellor to look into providing support for businesses who may be required to shut down to comply with self-isolation instructions on more than one occasion.
I also joined a group of MPs who are currently pushing for more support for the wedding industry. I am just putting the finishing touches to my letter to BEIS, to include some helpful feedback that I have received.
As usual, I am always open to feedback, and do let me know if there is anything I can do to help.