This email is part of a regular update I send out to businesses in Scunthorpe. If you have not received this email directly from me please click here to subscribe to my COVID-19 Business newsletter.
Update - 15/04/2020
Good evening; I hope you and your families are all safe and well.
Further adjustments to Furlough
Today the Government has extended the eligibility cut-off date for the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme (CJRS) to 19th March 2020. This means that you can now furlough your newer employees if they were registered on RTI before 19th March.
Save the date – 20th April
Yesterday the Chancellor has set a date for the opening of the CJRS application portal; 20th April . From Monday, you will be able to reclaim 80% of furloughed employee's wages through HMRC’s online service. More info here.
The information you should be preparing in advance:
- Your employer PAYE reference number
- The number of employees being furloughed
- National Insurance Numbers for the furloughed employees
- Names of the furloughed employees
- Payroll/employee number for the furloughed employees (optional)
- Your Self Assessment Unique Taxpayer Reference or Corporation Tax Unique Taxpayer Reference or Company Registration Number
- The claim period (start and end date)
- Amount claimed (per the minimum length of furloughing of 3 consecutive weeks)
- Your bank account number and sort code
- Your contact name
- Your phone number
More information has been added on the distinction between granting Statutory Sick Pay and furloughing workers.
Furthermore, employees who are unable to work because they are shielding in line with public health guidance (or need to stay home with someone who is shielding) can be furloughed. Please take this into account as I understand that some employees with shielding families are extremely concerned at the moment.
Important information for the self-employed
HMRC have produced a page that explains how they work out income and trading profits for the Income Support Scheme.
There is also further guidance on ‘How a self-employed person reports their earning for Universal Credit during the Coronavirus outbreak’.
Other key updates for industry:
- Crucial list: RELAXED RULES FOR BUSINESSES LIST. Keep checking this for any changes
- Make our PPE: A new hub has been created to explain the use of PPE in non-healthcare setting. The government are trying to start a second wave of domestic manufacturing so please read the updated PPE specifications and offer to help!
- FARMERS: Updated information on how to claim for payments
- SPONSORING EMPLOYEES WITH TIER 2, 4 and 5 VISAS? Advice here
- SALARY SACRIFICE ARRANGEMENTS have been edited in the wake of coronavirus.
- General support: New online questionnaire for people who are struggling with Coronavirus. Do get them to contact me as well.
I have recently put up a helpful local contacts list for COVID-19 related matters. Feel free to share if you find this useful.
Lastly if you know of any care companies or pharmacists that are struggling to acquire PPE please can you get them to get in touch with me? I have been working with our Local Resilience Forum on PPE and want to make sure that our people are protected.