This email is part of a regular update I send out to businesses in Scunthorpe. If you have not received this email directly from me please click here to subscribe to my COVID-19 Business newsletter.
Ahead of further confirmation on the 16th, you may have seen in the press that we are seeing more areas of the country being added to Tier 3. My understanding is that it is very likely that we will also remain in T3 locally, given the potential effects of the removal of these restrictions on our local hospital capacity and the views of our local public health team.
Discretionary Grant support
Should we remain in Tier 3 this will no doubt be difficult news for everyone involved. I can confirm that there will be a new discretionary grant that will reflect the December T3 restrictions and further discussions are in place on what more can be done locally to support the difficult circumstances of those in Hospitality.
Whilst the reception following the November discretionary has been pretty positive I understand that some businesses were excluded despite their close supply-chain links with businesses that have been asked to close. This is something I will feed up to NLC.
Lastly, I know that some of you are still waiting for your discretionary grants after they have been approved. This, I understand, has to do with the accounts team (and a recent IT issue) and not the Business Info team, and I know that they are doing their best to resolve this ASAP.
Reduction of self-isolation period
From today onwards, those who have had contact with someone tested positive for Coronavirus will be asked to self-isolate for 10 days, instead of 14 days. Read more about it here.
Earlier today I attended a roundtable to discuss concerns from the Wedding industry with BEIS Minister Paul Scully. A number of core issues were raised during the meeting:
- The government will be setting up a "Wedding task force" to better understand the needs of the industry and plan for an "exit roadmap".
- The government will consider looking into Pilot Schemes for weddings in the future.
- We have asked the government to re-look into the 15/ venue limit and reconsider allowing guests proportional to venue size. I understand that there was previously a plan to study what is essentially in place in NI although this has been made impossible due to the increase in cases in NI.
- The Minister has acknowledged that those with close supply-chain relations with the wedding industry (planners, cake makers, caterers, clothes and laundry etc) have been impacted.
- We have once again emphasised the need for the government to take into account the significant lead-in time required for the wedding industry to adapt to changes in restrictions.
As usual, I will work with my group of colleagues to lobby the government based on the feedback I have been given locally.
A note of thanks
Lastly, I just wanted to repeat my thanks to those who have taken the time to write back to provide their feedback all this time. I will not pretend to know or fully understand the impacts of the virus on all local businesses. This is why I am reliant on you to let me know the "on-ground" situation. A number of businesses have been extremely proactive and as you can see above this continues to inform my approach with both NLC and the government.
Whilst I may not be able to provide a full response (as I would usually do when things are less busy) on these policy matters I can tell you that I do read them, consider the points you make, and take necessary action.
- COVID-19 SUPPORT DIRECTORY FOR INDIVIDUALS AND BUSINESSES
- Discretionary grant released - COVID-19 Business Update 13/11/2020
- Chancellor's announcement updates, Discretionary Grant confirmed, industry guidelines - COVID-19 Business Update 06/11/2020
- Lockdown support and grants - COVID-19 Business Update 04/11/2020
- COVID-19 Business Update 23/10/2020- Chancellor’s IMPROVED Winter Support Package
- Coronavirus Business Update 22.09.20- Chancellor's Winter Support Package
- Coronavirus Business Update 22/09/20- Today's updates and key guidances
- COVID-19 Business Update 08/09/2020- Feedback from hospitality industry needed, job creation schemes available for your business
- COVID-19 Business Update 09/07/2020- Further reopening of businesses, eat out scheme details, green homes grants
- Important update: Chancellor's statement and what it means for you - 08/07/2020
- Quick update - full list of businesses, guidance available - 24/06/2020
- Further opening of key sectors, self-employed support - COVID-19 Business update 23/06/2020
- NLC Discretionary Business Grants now open for application - COVID-19 Business update 01/06/2020
- COVID-19 Business update 29/05/2020 -Important update on furlough, Self-Employed income support scheme EXTENDED
- COVID-19 Business update 26/05/2020- Retail update, tax clarifications, claim for SSP
- COVID-19 Business update 14/05/2020- Major housing update, holiday entitlement guidance, guidance for discretionary council grant released - COVID-19 Business update
- COVID-19 Business update 13/05/2020- Furlough scheme extended, health and safety priority
- COVID-19 Business Update 11/05/20- Details on today's announcements, how to make your workplace "Covid-Safe"
- COVID-19 Business update 04/05/2020- Bounce back loans available NOW, Council to get discretion for grants, further info for employees
- COVID-19 Business update 27/04/2020- New 100% backed loans for small businesses, Furlough scheme feedback
- COVID-19 Business update 15/04/2020- Date set for furlough scheme (get ready!), more info for the self-employed
- COVID-19 Business update 03/04/2020- Coronavirus Business Interruption Loans, Industry updates
- COVID-19 Business update 27/03/2020- Important update for employers: more details on "furlough"/ "80% scheme"
- COVID-19 Business update 26/03/2020- Self-employed details, letter to Chancellor and Business Secretary
- COVID-19 Business update 24/03/2020- Important guidelines and updates
- COVID-19 Business update 23/03/2020- Lockdown and further information
- COVID-19 Business update 22/03/2020- Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme, my pledge to the self-employed
- COVID-19 Business update 20/03/2020- URGENT UPDATE
- COVID-19 Business update 18/03/2020- Business Interruption Loan Scheme, Business Rates Holiday, Small Business Grants