This email is part of a regular update I send out to businesses in Scunthorpe. If you have not received this email directly from me please click here to subscribe to my COVID-19 Business newsletter.
Please find below today’s Business Update.
- Share your experiences of the Kickstart Scheme
- £220 million of grants available in Phase 2 of the Industrial Energy Transformation Fund
- Consultation on flexible working and response to consultation on the right to time away for unpaid carers
- (Final) Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme claims for September
- Deadline for final SEISS grant applications next Thursday (30th September)
- Open call by Drax to join Bioenergy with Carbon Capture Storage Supplier event series
SHARE YOUR EXPERIENCES OF THE KICKSTART SCHEME
The Kickstart Scheme is due to end for new applications in December. Here in Scunthorpe, I am keen to maximise our benefit from this programme, and so I was hoping that businesses in our area could come forward and share their positive experiences with the programme so we can have one last push to utilise it. Please do write to me at email@example.com and I will make use of these recounts.
In the meantime, please see a flyer below that goes into more detail on the benefits of Kickstart.
If you are interested in this scheme and would like to know more, please email me directly and I will put you in touch with local stakeholders.
£220 million of grants made available in Phase 2 of the Industrial Energy Transformation Fund (IETF)
Energy-intensive industries like manufacturing and material recovery will be able to bid for grants of up to £30 million for reducing carbon emissions. This can include, but is not limited to:
- Installing more efficient boilers
- Installing electric motors
- Installing heat pumps to replace natural gas-fired boilers and steam turbines
- Developing technologies for industrial carbon capture
- Fuel switching
- Recycling waste heat into renewable electricity
See the guidance for applications here. Phase 2 opens this Monday 27th September.
Consultation on flexible working and response to consultation on the right to time away for unpaid carers
The government has today announced a consultation on flexible working, with proposals to make a flexible working request a day one right and to encourage employers to suggest alternatives if a request is turned down.
Given the impact that Covid has had on how we work, this is a discussion worth having and I would encourage all businesses to have their say at Making flexible working the default - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk).
A government response to the consultation on the right to time away from work for unpaid carers has been published. After incorporating the views of carers and businesses, a framework for the manifesto promise of a one week leave entitlement for unpaid carers has been proposed. It will be a day one entitlement, can be taken flexibly (doesn't have to be in a single block) and employers will be given a notice period and the ability to reasonably postpone. Read more here- Carer’s leave - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk).
(Final) Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme claims for September
Final CJRS claims for September can now be submitted and must be made by Thursday 14 October.
You can claim 60% of furloughed employees' usual wages for the hours not worked, up to a cap of £1,875 per month per employee. A contribution of 20% is needed from employers' own funds so that furloughed employees continue to be paid at least 80% of their usual wages in total, for the hours they do not work (up to a cap of £2,500 a month).
Deadline for final SEISS grant applications next Thursday (30th September)
The deadline to claim the fifth and final Self-Employment Income Support Scheme (SEISS) grant is 30th September.
Apply here, where you are likely to need your turnover for the following:
- ‘reference period’ (this needs to be based on a 12 month period, including the total turnover for all of their businesses, and in most cases can be taken from the 2019-20 or 2018-19 tax return); and the
- ‘pandemic period’ (a 12 month period which starts on any date from 1 April to 6 April 2020).
More info here.
Covid changes to notice periods to end from October 1st
From 1st October, return notice periods for residential tenancies will be returning to pre-Covid lengths. I have shared the letter sent to all MPs from the Housing Minister on this on my website, which goes into more detail on the legislation put forward to bring about this change.
Open Call by Drax to join Bioenergy with Carbon Capture Storage supplier event series
I understand that Drax are reaching out to businesses across the country to identify a supply chain for their negative emissions project. The first of these events was a webinar earlier today, and Drax are planning to host a series of events throughout the next year.
A formal public consultation on Drax’s BECCS plans will take place in November, when stakeholders including local communities will be able to learn more about the proposed project and provide their feedback as part of the planning process.
Businesses interested in finding out more about Drax’s plans can email Ddrax@NOF.co.uk.
As always, I'm here if you have any questions or if there are any further issues you would like me to raise with Government.
- COVID-19 SUPPORT DIRECTORY FOR INDIVIDUALS AND BUSINESSES
- useful local mental health support contacts
- Funding Opportunities for Scunthorpe Charities and NFPs/ New Business Grants
- Important consultations, quarantine rules for industries, new allergen regulations and CJRS update- COVID-19 Business update 27/07/2021
- Covid Guidance from Monday, Hospitality Recovery Plan and info for social care providers- 16/07/2021
- Changes in restrictions, final reminder for discretionary grant 15/06/2021
- Discretionary grant up, Farmers Consultation, CJRS elgibility 28/05/2021
- NLC Schemes, 4th SEISS grant, Discretionary Grant update - COVID-19 Business update 05/05/2021
- Updates to work safety guidance, Register for FREE weekly tests, Grants and other business support schemes - COVID-19 Business update 08/04/2021
- Ready to reopen Scunthorpe, FREE lateral flow tests for biz with over 50 employees, SME Brexit Support Fund - COVID-19 Business update 24/03/2021
- Weddings and Sports roadmap + Big update covering support schemes, tax changes, and policy updates - COVID-19 Business update 16/03/2021
- Special Business update - Budget overview - COVID-19 Business update 03/03/2021
- Lockdown grants update, Important Furlough and Self-Employed Income Support Scheme deadlines - COVID-19 Business update 08/01/2021
- Lockdown Grant Details - COVID-19 Business Update 05/01/2021
- Discretionary grant update, notes from Weddings meeting, lower self-isolation period- COVID-19 Business Update 14/12/2020
- Tier 3 Grant open, Tier reviews, outbreak control support and wet pubs grant- COVID-19 Business Update 4/12/20Tier 3 restrictions, new SEISS up - COVID-19 Business Update 26/11/2020
- COVID Winter plan, furlough changes, self-isolation payment - COVID-19 Business Update 24/11/2020
- Discretionary grant released - COVID-19 Business Update 13/11/2020
- Chancellor's announcement updates, Discretionary Grant confirmed, industry guidelines - COVID-19 Business Update 06/11/2020
- Lockdown support and grants - COVID-19 Business Update 04/11/2020
- COVID-19 Business Update 23/10/2020- Chancellor’s IMPROVED Winter Support Package
- Coronavirus Business Update 22.09.20- Chancellor's Winter Support Package
- Coronavirus Business Update 22/09/20- Today's updates and key guidances
- COVID-19 Business Update 08/09/2020- Feedback from hospitality industry needed, job creation schemes available for your business
- COVID-19 Business Update 09/07/2020- Further reopening of businesses, eat out scheme details, green homes grants
- Important update: Chancellor's statement and what it means for you - 08/07/2020
- Quick update - full list of businesses, guidance available - 24/06/2020
- Further opening of key sectors, self-employed support - COVID-19 Business update 23/06/2020
- NLC Discretionary Business Grants now open for application - COVID-19 Business update 01/06/2020
- COVID-19 Business update 29/05/2020 -Important update on furlough, Self-Employed income support scheme EXTENDED
- COVID-19 Business update 26/05/2020- Retail update, tax clarifications, claim for SSP
- COVID-19 Business update 14/05/2020- Major housing update, holiday entitlement guidance, guidance for discretionary council grant released - COVID-19 Business update
- COVID-19 Business update 13/05/2020- Furlough scheme extended, health and safety priority
- COVID-19 Business Update 11/05/20- Details on today's announcements, how to make your workplace "Covid-Safe"
- COVID-19 Business update 04/05/2020- Bounce back loans available NOW, Council to get discretion for grants, further info for employees
- COVID-19 Business update 27/04/2020- New 100% backed loans for small businesses, Furlough scheme feedback
- COVID-19 Business update 15/04/2020- Date set for furlough scheme (get ready!), more info for the self-employed
- COVID-19 Business update 03/04/2020- Coronavirus Business Interruption Loans, Industry updates
- COVID-19 Business update 27/03/2020- Important update for employers: more details on "furlough"/ "80% scheme"
- COVID-19 Business update 26/03/2020- Self-employed details, letter to Chancellor and Business Secretary
- COVID-19 Business update 24/03/2020- Important guidelines and updates
- COVID-19 Business update 23/03/2020- Lockdown and further information
- COVID-19 Business update 22/03/2020- Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme, my pledge to the self-employed
- COVID-19 Business update 20/03/2020- URGENT UPDATE
- COVID-19 Business update 18/03/2020- Business Interruption Loan Scheme, Business Rates Holiday, Small Business Grants