This newsletter is part of a regular update I send out to businesses in Scunthorpe. If you have not received this directly from me please click here to subscribe to my COVID-19 Business newsletter.
Please find below today's Business Update. There are a few key consultations below so please have a look.
Please find below today’s Business Update.
- List of 'critical' workers exempt from Covid-19 travel requirements
- New Allergen Rules for Food Businesses
- Self-isolation exemptions for critical workers
- Consultation on competition and consumer policies
- Tax Credits Renewal Deadline
- Consultation on Basic Period Reform
- Reforming the framework for better regulation: Consultation
- Deadline and upcoming changes to the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme
- Guidance released on Plastic Packaging Tax
Employers may be eligible for a new scheme for double-vaccinated people (14 days post-second dose) who have been identified as close contacts. Those eligible will be able to leave self-isolation for critical work on national infrastructure that may otherwise result in:
- major detrimental impact on the availability, integrity or delivery of essential services – including those services whose integrity, if compromised, could result in significant loss of life or casualties
- significant impact on national security, national defence, or the functioning of the state
To be eligible,
employers should contact the relevant government department (see table below), providing information on:
- the number of people who it is proposed would leave self-isolation
- the roles those individuals need to perform
- the impact failure to do this would have and when this impact is likely to materialise (for example, is it already an issue or likely to materialise in the coming days)
A rapid response is expected. Full government guidance here.
- Energy, Civil nuclear
- Digital infrastructure
- Food production and supply, Waste, Water, Veterinary medicines, Essential chemicals
- Essential transport
- Medicines, Medical devices, Clinical consumable supplies
- Home Office
- Emergency services, Border control
- Essential defence outputs
- Local government
This Scheme will run until August 16th, when self-isolation is scheduled to end for those deemed to be a 'close contact' if they have been double-vaccinated. You can read more about that here.
In the meantime, it is important for us to continue to follow the rules as self-isolation remains an important and powerful toolfor us to stop the spread of the virus. Please do get in touch if you need any help with this.
List of workers subject to bespoke Covid-19 travel requirements
The government has updated the list of jobs that are subject to unique instructions when travelling to and from England. You can read the list here.
If you are still unsure on specific rules for your industry, please do not be afraid to get in touch. I have raised similar issues on behalf of local businesses with the Transport Secretary over the past few weeks and am happy to do so again.
New allergen rules for small businesses
From October 1st 2021, all prepackaged food for direct sale will have to include full ingredients with allergenic ingredients emphasised. I have added a letter from the Chair of the Food Standards Agency to my website for more information, including further advice and a support hub. In this letter, the Chair highlights that the Agency will be holding a webinar on the changes on the 4th August from 2pm. You can register for this here.
!!! Consultation on competition and consumer policies !!!
Two consultations have been launched:
- Reforming Competition and Consumer Policy. This will look at tackling fake reviews, making it easier for consumers to leave subscriptions they don’t want, and discouraging drip pricing, increasing mediation and arbitration services for consumers, and helping consumers groups seek redress more easily.
- A New Pro-Competition Regime for Digital Markets. The consultation will seek views on creating a Digital Markets Unit in the Competition and Markets Authority, allowing them to make 'pro-competition' interventions, for example by improving access to digital advertising, and reforming the merger review process.
Tax Credits Renewal Deadline
The deadline for renewing tax credit claims is July 31st- this Saturday. You can begin the claims process here.
CJRS claims for July must be submitted by Monday 16 August.
Employers can claim 70% of furloughed employees' usual wages for the hours not worked, up to a cap of £2,187.50 per month. You need to pay the difference, so that you continue to pay furloughed employees at least 80% of their usual wages in total for the hours not worked, up to a cap of £2,500 a month.
Then, from 1 August to 30 September (when the scheme closes), the government will pay 60% of employees' usual wages for hours not worked, up to a cap of £1,875. Employers will need to continue to pay the difference, so that furloughed employees are paid at least 80% of their usual wages in total for the hours they do not work, up to a cap of £2,500 a month.
Consultation on Basic Period Reform
The government is looking to simplify the income tax rules for small businesses, be it the self-employed, partnerships or trusts, by changing the allocation of trading profit to tax years, making the rules fairer for small businesses and easier to navigate. You can read more and contribute here.
Reforming the framework for better regulation: Consultation
There is also a consultation ongoing regarding the process for creating regulation in itself. This general consultation looks at how we can best harness our regulatory power now that we have left the EU. Any business may find it useful to give their say, and you can do so here.
Guidance Released on Plastic Packaging Tax
As the Plastic Packaging Tax is set to be implemented from the tax year beginning April 2022, the government has unveiled more guidance on the types of plastic packaging subject to the tax, including single-use products, such as carrier bags, sandwich bags and disposable cups. Read the guidance here.
As always, I'm here if you have any questions or if there are any further issues you would like me to raise with Government.
- COVID-19 SUPPORT DIRECTORY FOR INDIVIDUALS AND BUSINESSES
- useful local mental health support contacts
- Funding Opportunities for Scunthorpe Charities and NFPs/ New Business Grants
- Covid Guidance from Monday, Hospitality Recovery Plan and info for social care providers- 16/07/2021
- Changes in restrictions, final reminder for discretionary grant 15/06/2021
- Discretionary grant up, Farmers Consultation, CJRS elgibility 28/05/2021
- NLC Schemes, 4th SEISS grant, Discretionary Grant update - COVID-19 Business update 05/05/2021
- Updates to work safety guidance, Register for FREE weekly tests, Grants and other business support schemes - COVID-19 Business update 08/04/2021
- Ready to reopen Scunthorpe, FREE lateral flow tests for biz with over 50 employees, SME Brexit Support Fund - COVID-19 Business update 24/03/2021
- Weddings and Sports roadmap + Big update covering support schemes, tax changes, and policy updates - COVID-19 Business update 16/03/2021
- Special Business update - Budget overview - COVID-19 Business update 03/03/2021
- Lockdown grants update, Important Furlough and Self-Employed Income Support Scheme deadlines - COVID-19 Business update 08/01/2021
- Lockdown Grant Details - COVID-19 Business Update 05/01/2021
- Discretionary grant update, notes from Weddings meeting, lower self-isolation period- COVID-19 Business Update 14/12/2020
- Tier 3 Grant open, Tier reviews, outbreak control support and wet pubs grant- COVID-19 Business Update 4/12/20Tier 3 restrictions, new SEISS up - COVID-19 Business Update 26/11/2020
- COVID Winter plan, furlough changes, self-isolation payment - COVID-19 Business Update 24/11/2020
- Discretionary grant released - COVID-19 Business Update 13/11/2020
- Chancellor's announcement updates, Discretionary Grant confirmed, industry guidelines - COVID-19 Business Update 06/11/2020
- Lockdown support and grants - COVID-19 Business Update 04/11/2020
- COVID-19 Business Update 23/10/2020- Chancellor’s IMPROVED Winter Support Package
- Coronavirus Business Update 22.09.20- Chancellor's Winter Support Package
- Coronavirus Business Update 22/09/20- Today's updates and key guidances
- COVID-19 Business Update 08/09/2020- Feedback from hospitality industry needed, job creation schemes available for your business
- COVID-19 Business Update 09/07/2020- Further reopening of businesses, eat out scheme details, green homes grants
- Important update: Chancellor's statement and what it means for you - 08/07/2020
- Quick update - full list of businesses, guidance available - 24/06/2020
- Further opening of key sectors, self-employed support - COVID-19 Business update 23/06/2020
- NLC Discretionary Business Grants now open for application - COVID-19 Business update 01/06/2020
- COVID-19 Business update 29/05/2020 -Important update on furlough, Self-Employed income support scheme EXTENDED
- COVID-19 Business update 26/05/2020- Retail update, tax clarifications, claim for SSP
- COVID-19 Business update 14/05/2020- Major housing update, holiday entitlement guidance, guidance for discretionary council grant released - COVID-19 Business update
- COVID-19 Business update 13/05/2020- Furlough scheme extended, health and safety priority
- COVID-19 Business Update 11/05/20- Details on today's announcements, how to make your workplace "Covid-Safe"
- COVID-19 Business update 04/05/2020- Bounce back loans available NOW, Council to get discretion for grants, further info for employees
- COVID-19 Business update 27/04/2020- New 100% backed loans for small businesses, Furlough scheme feedback
- COVID-19 Business update 15/04/2020- Date set for furlough scheme (get ready!), more info for the self-employed
- COVID-19 Business update 03/04/2020- Coronavirus Business Interruption Loans, Industry updates
- COVID-19 Business update 27/03/2020- Important update for employers: more details on "furlough"/ "80% scheme"
- COVID-19 Business update 26/03/2020- Self-employed details, letter to Chancellor and Business Secretary
- COVID-19 Business update 24/03/2020- Important guidelines and updates
- COVID-19 Business update 23/03/2020- Lockdown and further information
- COVID-19 Business update 22/03/2020- Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme, my pledge to the self-employed
- COVID-19 Business update 20/03/2020- URGENT UPDATE
- COVID-19 Business update 18/03/2020- Business Interruption Loan Scheme, Business Rates Holiday, Small Business Grants