Please find below updates on the following:
- North Lincolnshire Council Hospitality and Tourism Fund applications open
- Key Points from the Chancellor's Budget last week
- Campaign Success on Improving Lorry Parking Facilities
- Deadline for final claims to SSP Rebate Scheme
- Final information on Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme
- Free 0300 number packages available for charities
- HMRC Webinar on Plastic Packaging Tax soon
- Consultations and Call For Evidence that may be of interest
North Lincolnshire Council Hospitality and Tourism Support Fund applications open
North Lincolnshire Council have opened a £250,000 pot for hospitality and tourism, recognising that a lot of businesses in our area are still trying to return to pre-pandemic levels. You can find out more and apply here.
The minimum grant level that can be applied for is £1,000. The maximum grant level is determined on the level of investment being made on the project and this may be calculated on the basis of £7,000 per new job being created (£6,000 per safeguarded job) or on an overall investment ratio of 1:4. This means that for every £1 invested by the fund your business must match this by at least £4 (ie a maximum intervention level of 25%). The full list of eligible activities, as well as some examples, can be viewed on the Fund's eligibility criteria.
The job creation project must be practically and financially complete by March 2022.
Key Points from the Chancellor's Budget last week
- Retail, Hospitality and Leisure businesses to benefit from 50% discount on Business Rates (up to £110,000 per business cap).
- Business rates multiplier frozen until 2022/23
- New business rates relief from 2023 to support property improvements. No business will face higher business rates bills for 12 months after making qualifying improvements to a property they occupy.
National Living Wage
- National Living Wage to increase by 6.6% to £9.50 an hour.
- All alcohol duty rates to be frozen for another year.
- Simplified duty regime based on 'the stronger the drink, the higher the rate'
- New 'Draught' Beer and Cider rate for 40 litre+ kegs, to be cut 5% lower than standard rate.
- Drinks under 3.5% ABV will be subject to a new, lower rate, cutting price of many low-alcohol beverages.
- All alcohol products over 8.5% will be subject to a flat rate, with premiums removed for Sparkling Wine.
- Consultation on new duty regime is open now. Please contribute here.
- Fuel Duty frozen for another year
- Vehicle Excise Duty frozen for Heavy Goods Vehicles (HGVs) for another year.
- HGV Road User Levy suspended for another 12 months from August 2022.
- £3,000 apprentice hiring incentive for employers to be extended until 31 January 2022.
Financial Support Schemes
- £1 million Annual Investment Allowance increased to 2023.
- Recovery loan scheme, where government will guarantees 70% of finance to lender for SMEs, extended until 30 June 2022.
As you can see, this Budget is really good news for a lot of businesses in Scunthorpe. If you want any more detail on these announcements, please do get back in touch. Let me know if you want updates on any of the future measures, and I will seek to update you via Business Updates when I can.
Campaign Success on improving lorry parking facilities
Earlier this month, I tabled two Written Questions to the Transport Secretary on facilities for lorry drivers at work. Following the Budget, I am delighted to say that the Chancellor has announced £32.5 million to improve roadside facilities for HGV drivers on the road. I look forward to hearing more details on this.
Along with the Fuel Duty freeze, the HGV Vehicle Excise Duty freeze and the 12-month suspension of the HGV Road User Levy all announced on Wednesday, I hope this will help ease the current pressure on the haulier industry. You can also see a letter from the Transport Minister on further measures being taken here.
Free 0300 number packages available for charities
Core Telecom has got in touch with me to share their campaign to provide Charities and Trusts with 03 number packages free of charge.
Deadline for final claims to SSP Rebate Scheme
The SSP Rebate Scheme closed on 30 September. Businesses have until 31 December to submit any final claims, or to amend claims they have already submitted.
Final information on Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme
The Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme has now closed. HMRC have said that businesses need to keep records for six years supporting the grants they claimed, in case they need to check them.
Just a reminder that grants should be classed as income on company tax returns, partnership tax return or the self-employment pages of individual tax returns for the tax year of receipt, depending on the business type.
HMRC Webinar on Plastic Packaging Tax soon
With the Plastic Packaging Tax coming into force in April 2022, HMRC are holding webinars covering its technical aspects and administration. The next webinar is on the 12th November so reserve your spot here.
Consultations and Call for Evidence which may be of interest
If they are of interest to your business, please feel free to contribute.
- Consultation of Regulation of 'Buy-Now-Pay-Later' products
- Consultation on modernising vehicle standards
- Call for Evidence on Wireless Infrastructure Strategy
- COVID-19 SUPPORT DIRECTORY FOR INDIVIDUALS AND BUSINESSES
- useful local mental health support contacts
- Funding Opportunities for Scunthorpe Charities and NFPs/ New Business Grants
- Government consultation on Vaccine Passports- COVID-19 Business update 28/09/2021
- Share your Kickstart experiences, £220 million to reduce emissions & flexible working consultation launched- COVID-19 Business update 24/09/2021
- Important: Local DWP Kickstart event, updated Furlough and SEISS information, key conslutations - COVID-19 Business update 20/08/2021
- Important consultations, quarantine rules for industries, new allergen regulations and CJRS update- COVID-19 Business update 27/07/2021
- Covid Guidance from Monday, Hospitality Recovery Plan and info for social care providers- 16/07/2021
- Changes in restrictions, final reminder for discretionary grant 15/06/2021
- Discretionary grant up, Farmers Consultation, CJRS elgibility 28/05/2021
- NLC Schemes, 4th SEISS grant, Discretionary Grant update - COVID-19 Business update 05/05/2021
- Updates to work safety guidance, Register for FREE weekly tests, Grants and other business support schemes - COVID-19 Business update 08/04/2021
- Ready to reopen Scunthorpe, FREE lateral flow tests for biz with over 50 employees, SME Brexit Support Fund - COVID-19 Business update 24/03/2021
- Weddings and Sports roadmap + Big update covering support schemes, tax changes, and policy updates - COVID-19 Business update 16/03/2021
- Special Business update - Budget overview - COVID-19 Business update 03/03/2021
- Lockdown grants update, Important Furlough and Self-Employed Income Support Scheme deadlines - COVID-19 Business update 08/01/2021
- Lockdown Grant Details - COVID-19 Business Update 05/01/2021
- Discretionary grant update, notes from Weddings meeting, lower self-isolation period- COVID-19 Business Update 14/12/2020
- Tier 3 Grant open, Tier reviews, outbreak control support and wet pubs grant- COVID-19 Business Update 4/12/20Tier 3 restrictions, new SEISS up - COVID-19 Business Update 26/11/2020
- COVID Winter plan, furlough changes, self-isolation payment - COVID-19 Business Update 24/11/2020
- Discretionary grant released - COVID-19 Business Update 13/11/2020
- Chancellor's announcement updates, Discretionary Grant confirmed, industry guidelines - COVID-19 Business Update 06/11/2020
- Lockdown support and grants - COVID-19 Business Update 04/11/2020
- COVID-19 Business Update 23/10/2020- Chancellor’s IMPROVED Winter Support Package
- Coronavirus Business Update 22.09.20- Chancellor's Winter Support Package
- Coronavirus Business Update 22/09/20- Today's updates and key guidances
- COVID-19 Business Update 08/09/2020- Feedback from hospitality industry needed, job creation schemes available for your business
- COVID-19 Business Update 09/07/2020- Further reopening of businesses, eat out scheme details, green homes grants
- Important update: Chancellor's statement and what it means for you - 08/07/2020
- Quick update - full list of businesses, guidance available - 24/06/2020
- Further opening of key sectors, self-employed support - COVID-19 Business update 23/06/2020
- NLC Discretionary Business Grants now open for application - COVID-19 Business update 01/06/2020
- COVID-19 Business update 29/05/2020 -Important update on furlough, Self-Employed income support scheme EXTENDED
- COVID-19 Business update 26/05/2020- Retail update, tax clarifications, claim for SSP
- COVID-19 Business update 14/05/2020- Major housing update, holiday entitlement guidance, guidance for discretionary council grant released - COVID-19 Business update
- COVID-19 Business update 13/05/2020- Furlough scheme extended, health and safety priority
- COVID-19 Business Update 11/05/20- Details on today's announcements, how to make your workplace "Covid-Safe"
- COVID-19 Business update 04/05/2020- Bounce back loans available NOW, Council to get discretion for grants, further info for employees
- COVID-19 Business update 27/04/2020- New 100% backed loans for small businesses, Furlough scheme feedback
- COVID-19 Business update 15/04/2020- Date set for furlough scheme (get ready!), more info for the self-employed
- COVID-19 Business update 03/04/2020- Coronavirus Business Interruption Loans, Industry updates
- COVID-19 Business update 27/03/2020- Important update for employers: more details on "furlough"/ "80% scheme"
- COVID-19 Business update 26/03/2020- Self-employed details, letter to Chancellor and Business Secretary
- COVID-19 Business update 24/03/2020- Important guidelines and updates
- COVID-19 Business update 23/03/2020- Lockdown and further information
- COVID-19 Business update 22/03/2020- Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme, my pledge to the self-employed
- COVID-19 Business update 20/03/2020- URGENT UPDATE
- COVID-19 Business update 18/03/2020- Business Interruption Loan Scheme, Business Rates Holiday, Small Business Grants